Thursday, February 8, 2007

Absence of sunshine...

Just got back from my java jaunt. I rarely go at the same time and it's interesting to notice the differences. Of course, the later it gets, the more traffic there is. But it's the presence or absence of dogs in the yards that's curious. Sometimes it seems like every yard has a dog. Other times like today, I didn't encounter any. Some of the dogs just sit quietly and watch you pass by. Others run frantically back and forth, yapping for all they're worth, trying desperately to defend their territory. It's funny because sometimes there are two different kinds of dogs together and the sound their different barks make, like harmonizing on a canine scale. Sometimes I have to laugh. Some look so ferocious. Some dogs just walk silently along the fenceline with me. Some come up with a wag and a friendly smile. Oh and I saw a lady walking her dog; they were color-coordinated. She had white hair, she wore gray sweatpants, gray sweatshirt, white tennis shoes walking a white schnazer (sp). Then I came across a watch in the middle of the sidewalk. I didn't know if I should pick it up and put it out of harm's way or leave it. I decdied to leave it in case the "owner" returned. Closer to home I saw an odd thing. There is a tiny, old, beat-up shack-type building on a mostly vacant lot. Not unusal. But in front of it, right near the door, there in the grass was a ring of flowers. Real ones. Actually they were in a horse-shoe shape. Not sporadic, not in a straight line, but in a half circle, an arc, of lillies.
Don't forget: tonite is the season premiere of Survivor!

No comments: