Saturday, February 10, 2007

Thoughts for the day...

Every morning when I get up, one of the first things I do is read the day's passage in The Upper Room. It always gets my day off to a good start. Today's was especially apropro(sp?) because the topic dealt with anger (which was me last night). It was about a woman who had lost her patience and temper with her young son and consequently caused herself to get locked out of the home. She had to call and pay a locksmith as a result. She said she learned an important lesson that day: anger locks me out. Anger locks me out of the place of peace where I want to reside. Part of the "prayer for the day" was: God, forgive us when we express our anger in damaging ways. And the "thought for the day" was: how can I be open to God's guidance in moments of anger? I know that's right!
On a different note: Rilke (my fav poet) believed in the coexistence of the material and spiritual realms, but he thought humans were only spectators of life, grasping its beauties momentarily only to lose them again. He believed though, that with the power of creativity, an artist could try to build a bridge between the two worlds. Rilke put mystical elements in his early works, but later he dealt more with the role of the artist, who must "speak and bear witness." Well, folks, that's my 2 cents for the day...

No comments: